The State Board of Equalization of California wants my company to register for a sales and use tax registration number ...

Q. (cont.) My company only sells product to retailers for resale. We collect resale certificates. We'd prefer not to register since we do not collect and remit sales tax. Are we required to register? If not, how do I address the issue with the state? 

A. According to the California's State Board of Equalization, companies that “are engaged in business in California and intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail (this includes wholesalers, manufacturers and retailers)” must obtain a seller's permit. (Emphasis ours.)

You can register online here.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk